Saturday, July 19, 2008

Retreat!

I am being terrorized by my neighbor's kids! Please, allow me to vent for a moment.

My neighbor has 7 year old twins and until lately they have been great. Fourth of July weekend we had a great time learning how to make firecrackers really explode, how to scorch our names into the cement with sparklers, and how to light (and extinguish) mini bonfires. They are super inquisitive and we have had fun learning what condensation is, how to do black flips into pools, what gives firecrackers their color, and that the ice cream man truly is deaf.

Well while I was up in Seattle for my birthday weekend, Tyrell opened a letter that was in my mail box. It was a birthday card from my Grandma with $100 in it. The moment I walked up to my door returning from Seattle, Tyrell and his Dad came out and asked if they could talk to me. Tyrell confessed to opening the card and taking the $100. This is not my gripe.

The problem is his Dad then grounded the two of them as punishment. What he did not realize is in doing so he also punished every one of us at the apartment building. For the past four days we have all been dealing with two 7 year olds who are stuck at home during the summer, and are bored.

I have been waken up from a nap to them knocking on my bedroom window. Another neighbor spent half a day searching for his dog that refused to come home because they had chased it off. Another neighbor has taken to parking his car on the street because they have run into it too many times with their scooter.

If I am home they are knocking on my door every half hour wondering what I am doing, who am I talking to, what and I watching, why, why, why. Ahhhhhh!

I am reduced to sneaking around my apartment with the shades drawn and the lights out pretending not to be home. If they discover I am home I have to flee to a pub or coffee shop. For you see it does not matter what I am doing, they are bored seven year olds. I can be on the phone and they will ask who I am talking to, what I am talking about, ask me questons about what I just said, ask where the person lives. Did I mention that all of this is while I am still on the phone?

Today I wanted to get some cleaning done, pay some bills and then settle down with a movie. Instead my day went like this:

Half hour of cleaning.
Knock on the door.
15 minutes explaining over and over again that, no I can not come out, explain what I am doing, and of course why, why, why.
After 15 minutes nudge them out the door.
Repeat.

At about 2pm, after this having gone on all morning and afternoon I decided to try different tactics to make them go away. first I ignored their knocking. They just walked in. Next I made sure the door was locked. After a minute of ignoring their knocking they then began beating on my door. Next with my door locked and iPod on, they proceeded to run to each of my windows yelling into them for me to come out.

I almost lost it at that point. When I opened the door and they started to walk in, I literally put my hands on their sholders and pushed them back out, closed the door to just a crack, told them I was busy and then shut the door on their question of what I was doing.

Rude? Yes. To the point? I thought so. Got my point across? Obviously not because they were back with in 15 minutes. Hevean help me!

So I am at a bar. Once again run out of my own place. I am seriously thinking about signing myself up at the nearest clinic to have my tubes tied, for I have seen the future, and it is hell. People actually willingly have these things?!?!

No comments: